You’re a family caregiver, providing must-have supportive care for an aged, chronically-ill, and/or disabled loved one.
You’re lonely, stressed, and tired.
The long-term nature of caregiving that so often accompanies today’s current healthcare system leaves you wondering if you have what it takes to keep all the plates spinning.
It wouldn’t take much – one more unexpected hospitalization, one more secondary infection, one more medical procedure denied by insurance – for all the plates to come crashing down on the floor.
If you’re like millions of other family caregivers, you worry about your loved one, you feel ill-equipped to provide 24/7 caregiving services, and you feel really, really alone.
Family Caregiver Online Resources
Caregiving isn’t exactly a trending topic on Twitter, even though it currently affects over 40 million Americans providing essential support services for disabled family members.
There’s not a lot of information or advocacy groups out there, championing the needs of this subpopulation (I think the hospital social worker sent me home with a self-care brochure…); instead, many caregivers get sucked into the vortex of isolation and stress, struggling to find ways to come up for air.
Connecting with other caregivers and caregiver resources online can be a great way to provide family caregivers with the community and information they need to navigate the highly-individualized stresses of long-term care.
Here is a listing of popular caregiver blogs that I’ve found helpful along my journey as a family caregiver:
Aging, Chronically-ill, & Disabled Caregivers:
- The Alzheimer’s Reading Room: http://www.alzheimersreadingroom.com/
- Amy Goyer: http://amygoyer.com/joomla/index.php/blog
- As Our Parents Age: https://asourparentsage.net/
- The Battle We Didn’t Choose: My Wife’s Fight With Breast Cancer: http://mywifesfightwithbreastcancer.com/
- The Caregiver Chronicles: http://caregiverchronicle.blogspot.com/
- Caregiver Stories: https://www.caregiver.org/caregiver-stories
- The Caregiver Space: https://thecaregiverspace.org/
- The Caregiver’s Voice: http://thecaregiversvoice.com/blog/
- Caregiver Warrior Blog: https://www.caregiverwarrior.com/blog/
- Caregiving.com: https://www.caregiving.com/
- Caregiving Café: http://www.caregivingcafe.com/blog/caregivingcafe/
- CareLiving: http://www.careliving.org/
- Daughters Unite: https://daughtersunite.com/daughter-blogs/
- Dating Dementia: http://www.datingdementia.com/
- Easy Living Florida: http://easylivingfl.com/blog/
- Elaine Mansfield: https://elainemansfield.com/blog/
- Happy Healthy Caregiver: http://happyhealthycaregiver.com
- Losing a Puzzle Piece: http://www.losingapuzzlepiece.com/
- My Nana’s Keeper™ : http://www.mynanaskeeper.com/
- The Organized Caregiver: https://www.everydayhealth.com/columns/lynda-shrager-the-organized-caregiver/
- The Sandwich Women Generation: http://thesandwichwomengeneration.blogspot.com/
- Shake, Rattle and Roll: http://katekelsall.typepad.com/
- Take Care: http://blog.aarp.org/category/take-care/
- Taking Care of Grandma: http://takingcareofgrandma.com/
- Transition Aging Parents: http://www.transitionagingparents.com/blog/
Military & Veteran Caregivers:
- Adventures of Team Allen: http://adventuresofteamallen.blogspot.com/
- Far Not Fast: http://www.farnotfast.com/
- Family of a Vet: http://blog.familyofavet.com/
- Hidden Heroes Stories: https://hiddenheroes.org/stories/
- Love Our Vets: http://www.loveourvets.org/blog/
- New Rosie: http://newrosie.com/
- Patti Katter: http://pattikatter.com/#journal
- She is the Glue: http://sheistheglue.com/
- Save our Warriors: http://www.saveourwarriors.com/blog/
- TBI Warrior: http://www.tbiwarrior.com/
- TBI-PTSD Wife: http://tbi-ptsdwife.blogspot.com/
- Uncle Sam’s Mistress: http://armyreservistwife.blogspot.com/
- Veteran Caregiver: http://veterancaregiver.blogspot.com/
- Walking with Memphis: http://walkingwithmemphis.com/
- War Changes Lives: http://www.warchangeslives.net/